Our Church Timeline
Our Journey with God
In his early twenties, Jasper Morgan, Sr. moved from Rice, Virginia to Manasquan, NJ where he met and married Mattie Harvey. Jasper was influential in organizing the African American community in the Manasquan/Brielle area.
The Morgan’s realized that there was no established place for them to worship in their neighborhood. They and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Smith held alternate weekly prayer meetings at their homes which were extended to their families and community residents. Shiloh Baptist Church was founded in the early 1900’s.
In order to acquire funds for building expenses, they created ways to defray the building costs by having concerts, plays, and parties. Sufficient funds were raised to purchase the property at 44 Union Avenue in Manasquan. A tent was loaned to them by the United States Army of Sea Girt Camp, Sea Girt, NJ for worship services which were conducted by the late Rev. and Mrs. P.T. Morris.
1913 The efforts of Brother Morgan and Reverend Morris resulted in the purchase of land where the church still stands. A tent for services was lent to them by the Sea Girt Camp, Sea Girt, NJ. Through the diligent efforts of Sister Mattie Morgan with various enterprises, finances were raised for the church building proper in 1913. Reverend Charles J. Walker served as pastor through 1932.
1924 As membership increased a new addition was added in 1924.
1932 The church continued to grow spiritually and financially with several associate ministers from 1932 through 1946. Reverend Joseph W. Scott served as pastor from 1946 through 1978.
1957 The church was remodeled again in 1957 under the Building and Budget Ministry consisting of Deacon Fulton Olive, Trustee Brother Corbett Harvey, Sister Helen Laws and Sister Magnolia Mack.
1961 The plans were designed by Brother Leroy Mack and the main building was completely renovated. Upon completion, rededication services were rendered on July 9, 1961.
1978 In December 1978, the Reverend Gerald A. Schenck Sr, (under the prayerful guidance of Deacon Junior Morton) was called to the Pastorate. Under the leadership of Rev. Schenck, the church was modernized and a church van was purchased.
1993 At the initiative of the Women's Ministry, the pastor, trustees, deacons, and congregation upgraded the heating and cooling system, and renovated the kitchen and fellowship hall. Through the fortuitous vision of SBC's Men's Fellowship, an additional level was built to accommodate the pastor's study, a church office and small conference room.
1996 After several meetings with township officials, the results culminated with the present building by the end of the 1996 calendar year.
1997 The building was rededicated on August 24, 1997 with the late Pastor Reverend A. C. Clayton of Macedonia in Lakewood officiating.
2012 In October 2012, the lower level of the church was devastated with flood waters as high as 5 feet during Superstorm Sandy. We were able to achieve a small percentage of the restorations and repairs in 2015.
2013 Shiloh begins to celebrate the months prior to the centennial church anniversary on July 26, 2013.
2014 Shiloh Baptist Church officially launches its website and Facebook page.
2014 In November 2014, Michael Morgan becomes the official pastor of Shiloh Baptist Church.
2016 In August 2016, Pastor Michael Morgan announces new renovation plans for Shiloh Baptist Church.
It is our sincere desire that Shiloh Baptist Church becomes a place to connect with God and others. Here, God is worshipped and honored through relevant messages centered in God’s Word, and people with whom you can build lasting authentic relationships. We believe Jesus Christ is God’s Son, sent to us so we can have a relationship with God.